Sloppy Queso Fundido
Our Sloppy Queso Fundido recipe is a mouth-watering cheesy dip that is perfect for parties or as an appetizer for Sunday night dinner.
1 packet Sloppy Papi Seasoning Mix
2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 1 lb ground protein of your choice, preferably pork
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-1.5 lbs of shredded Oaxaca Cheese or Asadero Cheese; good substitutes are a mix of Monterey Jack, Muenster and Mozzarella cheeses; you could even use sharp white cheddar
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- 9”-12” Oven-proof pan (like cast iron) or oven-proof baking dish
Corn or flour tortillas, lightly toasted in a pan or over a stove’s flames
- Thick tortilla chips
- Your favorite hot sauce (Tapatio, Cholula, Tabasco)
- Escabeche (pickled jalapenos, carrots and onions)
Garnishes/ Serve with:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat, add onions and saute until slightly translucent.
Add in protein, Sloppy Papi seasoning, cumin, chili powder, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, ground cloves and vinegar and cook through, breaking it up with a spoon.
Cook for 5-7 minutes until browned.
Add shredded cheese and stir until evenly combined.
Put the pan directly in the oven under the broiler for cheese to melt and brown - about 3-5 minutes. Or transfer the cheesy Sloppy mixture into a baking dish and broil until brown.
Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with warm tortillas, chips, favorite hot sauce and/or escabeche.
- Tip: This can be preassembled in a baking dish, stored in fridge for up to 2 days and heated when ready to eat!